So what is the issue? I presume here that you need to manually light a pilot light - does that work? Can you get any sort of gas out of the gas delivery system?
If so, what is the issue? Will it not light even though you can smell gas? if so, I suspect a bad thermocouple which should be easy enough to fix.
I don't smell gas when it is turned on. We couldn't light the pilot light at all. I suspect that the line is clogged or pinched. It hasn't worked since we got it as far as I know.
Pat wants to pull it out from the wall and check it out. Pat is sending the photos to a guy who fixes old stoves and he hope that guy will know the make model, etc. then maybe we can get new parts for it.
The only way to know is to pull it out and take a look. It would seem unlikely that a line would get clogged or pinched unless someone moved the stove about. More likely is that the safety mechanism that restricts the flow of gas unless there is a source of heat on the thermocouple is not functioning. This is a simple fix but you need to know the make and model to get the right part. It is conceivable that we could get there, pull the part, and head to Ensenada to get a replacement.
Some/most of the parts are rusted/missing. The valves and thermocoupler are gone, etc. What I am thinking about is: determining the model & year then bringing down virtually all the parts. there really aren't too many pieces to these things, and Magic Chef uses many interchangeable parts. The pain in the butt is getting things apart, finding the right coupler, making sure everything is kosher with LP, etc. I think it can be done ... I am trying to get a manual for the thing right now. Apparently there is a nameplate on the back of the range more or less behind the clocks ... next one down see if they can find anything. Lori (sister in law) is coming here next week and she is going to hook me up with the guy we took her range to. She has one of same vintage and we took it to a guy in Baldwin Park (?) who restored it. Came out awesome, and I think he can help is with this one. Cookies or bust!
If only Romulo senior was still around! the Gomez family is stuck in an epic battle for control and it is hard to get the water running! Though I will say that when Romulo says he will do something, he does it.
A place for pictures, ideas, schedules, stuff needed for the house, and anything else you'd like to put up. We have a couple of projects coming up, and will probably have more after that, so the purpose of the blog is to make sure K-2 knows what we're thinking and to coordinate ideas and actions for the house. Labocana.org might have been a better URL but someone else already has it ...
So what is the issue? I presume here that you need to manually light a pilot light - does that work? Can you get any sort of gas out of the gas delivery system?
ReplyDeleteIf so, what is the issue? Will it not light even though you can smell gas? if so, I suspect a bad thermocouple which should be easy enough to fix.
Do you happen to know the model number and year?
I don't smell gas when it is turned on. We couldn't light the pilot light at all. I suspect that the line is clogged or pinched. It hasn't worked since we got it as far as I know.
ReplyDeletePat wants to pull it out from the wall and check it out. Pat is sending the photos to a guy who fixes old stoves and he hope that guy will know the make model, etc. then maybe we can get new parts for it.
The only way to know is to pull it out and take a look. It would seem unlikely that a line would get clogged or pinched unless someone moved the stove about. More likely is that the safety mechanism that restricts the flow of gas unless there is a source of heat on the thermocouple is not functioning. This is a simple fix but you need to know the make and model to get the right part. It is conceivable that we could get there, pull the part, and head to Ensenada to get a replacement.
ReplyDeleteSome/most of the parts are rusted/missing. The valves and thermocoupler are gone, etc. What I am thinking about is: determining the model & year then bringing down virtually all the parts. there really aren't too many pieces to these things, and Magic Chef uses many interchangeable parts. The pain in the butt is getting things apart, finding the right coupler, making sure everything is kosher with LP, etc. I think it can be done ... I am trying to get a manual for the thing right now. Apparently there is a nameplate on the back of the range more or less behind the clocks ... next one down see if they can find anything. Lori (sister in law) is coming here next week and she is going to hook me up with the guy we took her range to. She has one of same vintage and we took it to a guy in Baldwin Park (?) who restored it. Came out awesome, and I think he can help is with this one. Cookies or bust!
ReplyDeleteWhy not just go to a used appliance shop in Ensenada and buy a new used one that works? We might even be able to get a trade in for the old one.
ReplyDeleteFar too sensible!
ReplyDeleteIn the book, Jack used to get Gomez to handle such things for him....
ReplyDeleteIf only Romulo senior was still around! the Gomez family is stuck in an epic battle for control and it is hard to get the water running! Though I will say that when Romulo says he will do something, he does it.
ReplyDelete